Skip to main content

CAC Corner: You Can Make a Difference

Kelly Smith


View as a pdf

The CPD Consumer Advisory Council (CAC) is composed of Utah individuals with disabilities, family members, and staff liaisons and advises the CPD director about the Center’s impact on systems change, advocacy, and capacity building. This month’s CAC Corner was written by CAC member Matt Bone. Time flies. Several years ago I received an email asking if I knew anyone who would be interested in serving on the Consumer Advisory Council (CAC) for Utah State Universities Center for Persons with Disabilities (CPD).  I did not know anything about it, so I did a little research and decided I wanted to know more. One thing led to another and soon I was serving as a family representative on the CAC for the CPD. The CAC is made up of three types of members; People with Disabilities, members of their families, and organizations that help people with disabilities. I found out how many services Utah State University is providing through the CPD.  I was delighted to be involved with this organization.  After a while I was asked to serve as Vice Chair during my second term as a member of the CPD. I have seen several excellent people serve on the CAC. I have seen the work the CPD does.  I have made recommendations for ideas I think will help, and have felt my time has been used well.  As my term on the CAC is coming to an end, I thought I would write to encourage any of you who might be interested in serving to contact the CPD, and submit an application. You do not need to live in Logan. (I live in West Valley and our Chair lives in Price). It does not take a lot of time to serve. There are two meetings annually that involve the entire CAC, and there are committees you can serve on based on the amount of time you have. The CPD Consumer Advisory Council is currently seeking new members. An online application is available here. If you have questions, please contact Gordon Richins at 435-797-2832 or email  at


Share This Story