TAESE Gets Two New Projects
The Center for Technical Assistance for Excellence in Special Education (TAESE) at Utah State University’s Center for Persons with Disabilities is a partner in two new projects that will begin soon.
TAESE is one of several partners, including Westat and WestEd, that will be working on the IDEA Data Management Center (IDMC). The grant was awarded to Applied Engineering Management Corporation (AEM) for 5 years at $2.5 million annually.
Steven Smith of TAESE will be serving as the Deputy Director for the IDMC, and another TAESE employee will be fulfilling an as yet undefined role. IDMC’s central goals are to:
- Improve the capacity of State Education Agencies (SEAs) to meet the IDEA Part B Sections 616 and 618 data collection and reporting requirements.
- Assist SEAs in restructuring their existing data systems and in aligning their data collection for students with disabilities to the data collection for the general student population in their State-wide Longitudinal Data System (SLDS).
- Improve the validity and reliability of the data reported to the Secretary of Education and the public as required under Sections 616 and 618 of IDEA.
The IDEA Fiscal Data Center (IFDC) project was awarded to WestEd for 5 years at $3.2 million annually. TAESE is one of several partners, including American Institutes of Research (AIR) and Westat.
Smith will be the Knowledge Development Functional Team lead, Wayne Ball will be the Technical Assistance and Dissemination Functional Team lead, and Shauna Crane will be the Technology and Communication Functional Team lead. IFDC’s goals are to:
- Improve the capacity of State staff to collect and report accurate fiscal data to meet the data collection requirements related to the IDEA Part B local education agency maintenance of effort reduction and coordinated early intervening services and State maintenance of financial support.
- Increase State staff’s knowledge of the underlying fiscal requirements and the calculations necessary to submit valid and reliable data on local education agency maintenance of effort/coordinated early intervening services and State maintenance of financial support.